Doesn’t life seem so busy at times that you feel like you can’t get ahead or that your days are flying by without getting all you wanted done? Whether its a demanding job, house projects and chores that feel like they are never-ending, or taking care of others (your children, a sick family member) it can be easy to feel worn out and like there isn’t time for you. When we aren’t able to personally recharge, it can reflect on everything else in our lives. It is so important to nourish our whole bodies in order to give our best at whatever we are doing in life.
Having just celebrated my birthday, I am looking forward on what I want to see for this coming year. A similar reflection that some may do at New Year’s, I have decided to do now. My goal is to focus a little more on my overall health and wellness so that I can be the best version of myself which I believe will translate to my other relationships. Some of this involves different levels of self care.
“Rest and self-care are so important. When you take time to replenish your spirit, it allows you to serve others from the overflow. You cannot serve from an empty vessel.”
Self care is so important in order to recharge emotionally, physically, and spiritually. It doesn’t mean you need to spend a lot of money on weekly massages. Although wouldn’t that feel amazing?! Self care can involve very small acts that bring ourselves some form of relaxation and happiness. It also doesn’t mean the same thing for everyone. We are all unique in what our needs are and I think it is important to reflect on your own self and ask yourself some questions. What makes you happy? What would make you feel relaxed? What is your favorite place to go to? What kind of people do you like to be around?
When life is so busy it can be hard to figure out how you can fit anything else in your schedule, especially when it comes to taking care of ourselves. It is up to you to look at your schedule to see where you can fit it in. Maybe that means waking up 30 minutes early in the morning, taking some time before bed, or cutting out some activity that doesn’t serve you to be your best. For me nighttime seems to work best because I know that my little one is asleep. However, my goal is to wake up earlier so I have a little time to myself to drink my coffee and journal before getting my day started. Before I had my daughter, I would do this and my days felt so much more relaxed and less rushed.
Below are some examples of self care to inspire you. Some are very small acts, others may require a little more effort and money.
- Start your morning relaxed with a cup of coffee or your favorite tea
- Meditate (there are some short guided meditation apps available such as 10% Happier or Calm)
- Go visit your happy place
- Practice yoga
- Read a book
- Avoid social media first thing in the morning. There are so many posts that may not be uplifting and that in turn could put you in a bad mood first thing in the morning.
- Change the way you eat. Making small changes can make it easier (eat more fruits and vegetables, cut back on sugar, drink more water)
- Take a relaxing bath before bed
- Take a 10-15 minute walk outside
- Put your favorite music on and have a dance party
- Choose a DIY project to tackle and take your time enjoying the process. Lisa has a fun one coming up this week so stay tuned!
- Practice mindfulness
- Create a gratitude jar and look at something positive that happened daily
- Slow down
- Get 8 hours of sleep a night
- Call a friend
- Catch up on your favorite show
- Take a few minutes in the middle of the day to stretch
- Listen to podcasts or affirmations
- Look into ways to lower your work load
- Some relationships in our lives can be very negative. Sometimes setting boundaries with those people or cutting them out completely is so much better for you in the long run.
- Hire a housekeeper
- Save up for a class you have been wanting to try (pottery, cooking, dance, etc)
- Enjoy a day at the spa solo or with your favorite person
- Make a long term plan if there is a large change you want to make like a big move or new job. Work toward achieving those.
- Create a vision board for daily inspiration
- Start saving money and finally plan to take that trip you have been wanting to do.
I hope that some of these ideas will inspire you. What do you do to recharge to feel like your best self?