I am always looking for different ways to keep my children entertained during the Summer. My older son goes to school full time and only has art class once a week so, I try to incorporate as many craft store outings and art projects as I can this time of year. Children are so creative and if given the tool they will amaze you!
“You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” – Maya Angelou
Summer time is a perfect time to do the “messy” art projects because you can do them outside. We decided to pick up some fabric paint at the store today. I used to love using this paint when I was a kid and I still have fond memories of some of my favorite handmade “puffy paint” t shirts.
When we got home from the store, we rooted though the boys draws for an plain old t shirt. My children are lucky enough to have more clothes then they could possibly need so, we made the decision to”enhance” the ones that they already own!
Here is what you will need to decorate your own shirt.
- Fabric Paint
- Different Size Paint Brushes
- Cup of Water (rinse brushes)
- T Shirt (or any other fabric or clothing that you would like to decorate)
- Piece of Cardboard about the size of the shirt
- Put the cardboard inside the shirt so that the paint does not go through to the other side of the shirt. A flattened cereal box or coloring book works well for this step.
- Have fun painting on the fabric
- When finished, keep the shirt flat and let it dry for a few hours before washing it inside out.
My kids loved working on their wearable master pieces. Although a blank canvas is exciting for some, for others it is a bit over whelming. Here are a few ideas to help your child get creative!
- Pictures from favorite book.
- Draw something from nature (bird house, trees, flowers, ect)
- Favorite Sports Team
- Draw favorite Superhero
- A scene from their Summer vacation
- Favorite animal
- Solar System or Stars and Moon (constellations)
- Imaginary Creature
- Favorite Movie or TV Character