Self care is so important! We all have such busy lives and spend a lot of time taking care of others. Taking time to do something for yourself each day not only nourishes your body but also your soul. You must take care of your mind and body to be the best at all other aspects of your life. You can not be the best spouse, parent, teacher, employee, friend, ect, if you haven’t taken care of your own mental and physical health. Here is a list of physical activities that not only nourish you physically but, also your mental health.
“Take time to do what makes your soul happy.”
- Go for a walk: in your neighborhood, on your treadmill with a good novel, just about anywhere. Get out and just start walking. It is a peaceful way to get a mental breather.
- Hiking: With or without someone else, take the time to be silent and take in the beauty around you
- Swimming: If you have access to a pool, swimming is not only great exercise but a quiet activity. Water is also a great de-stressor and evokes calming feelings.
- Running: Need something mentally and physically challenging? The perfect alone activity when you need a break.
- Yoga: It helps with your emotional well-being and can lower anxiety and stress.
- Surfing: There is nothing better then being by the ocean, whether you are riding the waves or just going for a walk along the beach watching the surfers. There is nothing more relaxing!
- Biking: Throw on a helmet and enjoy a nice ride along a trail or back road for some peace of mind and physical activity. If you live in an urban area, bike to you favorite restaurant or cafe for a deserving treat.
- Horseback Riding: This is something that may be hard for some but, if you have access to a horse or even farm for lessons. Spending time with animals is a stress reliever. Believe it or not, this activity works all muscle groups.
- Rock Climbing: Not for the faint of heart, but a great exercise that not only strengthens the body but also your mental state.
- Dance: ANYWHERE! In the kitchen…. enjoy the music and do not care who is watching!