One of the things I love about this season, is the abundance of strawberries! Our family goes through them so fast and right now our grocery store has organic strawberries at such a great price. Since my daughter and husband love their peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, I thought I would use some strawberries to make them some jam.
By using chia seeds to thicken the jam up, you also get the added benefit of extra fiber, omega-3’s, and protein. This is so simple to make and is free of added sugar. Strawberry jam can be great for PB & J’s, as a topping for pancakes, cookies, or even swirled into some plain yogurt or ice cream. Enjoy!
- 3 cups organic strawberries, cut in half.
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons chia seeds
- optional: 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup, if desired to sweeten it up
- Place strawberries and lemon juice in small saucepan over medium heat, until it starts to bubble. Turn heat to low and simmer for about 5 minutes, until strawberries are soft and can be mashed.
- Mash strawberries by hand or add to a food processor and pulse until it is the desired consistency.
- Add chia seeds and maple syrup, if desired, and stir together.
- Add to a jar and allow to cool. Store in refrigerator for up to a week.