Some of my fondest memories have included taking walks through the woods or along paths surrounding the waterways of Minnesota. My family has all developed a passion for nature and each show it off in different ways. My mom is an artist and has a great appreciation for the beauty that surrounds us, from the the very large scale landscapes to the tiny details on a branch or plant. Continue reading “Nature Imprints”
Windows down cruising in the car, sitting on the beach or jamming pool side, music sets the mood for Summer! Music of this season is cheery, lighthearted and combined with long sunny days puts you in a carefree state of mind. The nostalgia of Summer time will last into Winter with a little help from your favorite tunes.
One of my Summer time bucket list goals is to see Jack Johnson and Ben Harper in concert at the beach in Hawaii. Hopefully some day I will get to do that, but in the mean time I thought I would put together a playlist to listen to anywhere.
- Jack Johnson: You and Your Heart
- Ben Harper: With my Own Two Hands
- Zac Brown: Knee Deep (Toes- is a good one too!)
- Kenny Chesney: American Kids
- Jason Mraz: Have it All
- Bob Marley: Would You be Love
- Florida Georgia Line/ Nelly: Cruise
- G. Love: Give it to You
- Colbie Caillat: Like Tomorrow Never Comes
- Ed Sheeran: Castle on the Hill
- Maren Morris: My Church
- Lumineers: Holdin’ Out
- Andy Grammer: Give Love
- Tom Petty: Wildflowers
- Old Crow Medicine Show: Wagon Wheel
- Kenny Chesney: Get Along
- Norman Greenbaum: Spirit in the Sky
- Creedence Clearwater Revival: Up Around the Bend
- Ed Sheeran: Bibia Be Ye Ye
- X Ambassadors: Renegades
Happy Friday! Summer has officially rolled in and so have the thunderstorms here in MD. We have enjoyed the craziness of playing in the pool and eating snow cones but, nothing compares to sitting in a safe quiet spot watching the thunderstorm roll in and then back out again. It never gets old! Whether you are enjoying the outdoors this weekend or inside relaxing, check out the great links below.
- Melissa from The Midnight Edit has a great article on boosting your confidence. She has some great examples and my favorite is getting out of your comfort zone. Trying new things seems scary at first but, it will boost your confidence. Check out the link to see all 12.
- The kimono is one of my favorite Spring and Summer accessory. Top Knots And My Thoughts has an adorable kimono and a few ways to wear it.
- With Summer fruit in season, here is a great smoothie bowl to try from Happy Organic Girl. She has a wonderful blog on natural living including recipes and organic make up tips.
- Megan Olivia posted about what she has learned from her mother and they are inspiring tips for all of us. Number one is my all-time favorite and something I remind my own children of every day. Check out all 5 here.
- I have been in a shopping mood lately…in search for a new summer dress. Emmy Lou Styles has a timeless list of Summer wardrobe must haves!
Do you have a favorite summer treat that you can’t wait to enjoy after a hot day? For me, it is ice cream! Let’s face it, it could be a cold, snowy day and I would still want ice cream!
Fast fashion and clothing is one of the largest pollution issues on this planet. If you haven’t seen the documentary “The True Cost” check it out. I am sure it will change your view on fashion and clothing forever. Over 90% of cotton used for clothing is genetically modified and the largest pesticided crop on the planet.
Cotton is considered the world’s dirtiest crop due to its heavy use of pesticides. Aldicarb, cotton’s second best-selling insecticide and most acutely poisonous to humans and wildlife, is still used in 25 countries, including the U.S., where 16 states reported it in their groundwater. The dangers are recognized by the EPA and they have signaled its phase out in 2018.- Rodale Institute
I thought I would take the time to highlight a few companies and ideas to be a little more eco friendly in the fashion department.
5 Eco Friendly ways to Shop:
- Consignment shops: They are all over the place these days. It is a fun way to shop- you never know what you are going to find!
- Patagonia: They are a big brand but, they use it for good. The company has organic cotton options and even makes some clothing out of recycled plastics. They also buy back clothing and make repairs. When you no longer want them, you can even drop Patagonia clothing off at their stores to be recycled into new garments.
- Thred up and reStitch: If consignment stores are your thing, try shopping consignment online in the comfort of your home. They have all of the latest fashions and (bonus) delivered right to your door step.
- AYAsacredwear: I found this Etsy shop and instantly fell in love. They have all kinds of organic cotton options and everything is handmade in Indonesia.
- Amour Vert: Not only is the clothing beautiful but, for every t shirt that is purchased they will plant a tree. Amour Vert uses organic cotton and sustainable fabrics.
Now that Summer Break has arrived, bedtime becomes a little relaxed. With the extra time, I love to spend some quiet one on one time with each of my children. It usually involved creating something (crazy snack, gift, art project, ect) My older son loves anything art related. I find that this time we spend together, he is so talkative about all aspects of live not just the art project. It is a great time to create something beautiful together but, also a wonderful bonding experience. This undivided attention is a great opportunity to build and foster love, trust and guidance. Being present and engaged is not only fun but also therapeutic. Keep on Reading!
Do have any exciting plans for that Dad in your life? I spent the week up in Northern Minnesota with my Dad fishing, camping, and hiking through the woods. For my dad, that is the perfect way to spend time together and celebrate! I hope you all had a great week and enjoy the following links for your Friday! Continue reading “Top 5 Friday Fun”
To celebrate the last day of school, I let my children decide on a dessert. Here is our “concoction.” It turned out delicious and I may have eaten too many myself! The boys first decided they wanted s’mores but, they asked if we could make marshmallows. I try to stay away from corn starch since the corn used can be a GMO, so we used gelatin. The marshmallows were fun to make, and surprising easy! I want to note that the caramel color is because we used coconut sugar instead of white sugar. The taste is slightly different and gives the marshmallows a toasted taste, that we all loved. If you only have white sugar you can substitute it 1:1 for the coconut sugar. Keep on Reading!
Last week I shared tips on how to make traveling with kids just a little bit easier. If you missed it you can read it here. This week, I wanted to share a couple ideas of keepsakes we do for our daughter as we travel. We don’t buy a lot of souvenirs on trips, but always make sure we take plenty of photos and grab a postcard wherever we go. I will show you a couple ways we utilize them below! Continue reading “Traveling with Kids: Part 2”
Hi Y’all- Welcome to a new week and a fresh start! I had a busy weekend with sports, swimming, and family time. My family and I had our first of many lazy afternoons on the water complete with crabs and beer. Although it was raining, it was still the perfect way to spend our Sunday. As I come off of the weekend high, I thought I would share a few of my favorite quotes to give you the burst of inspiration this week.
Quotes give you the courage, confidence and spirit you need…and they’ll remind you of the wonder and the joy of life- John Cook Book of Positive Quotations
These pearls of wisdom can give you the motivation you need to succeed and remind you of what is truly important in life. I hope they give you as much encouragement as they have given me.
5 Motivational Quotes:
- If there is to be any peace it will come through being, not having- Henry Miller
- There is nothing so bitter that a patient mind cannot find some solace for it- Marcus Annaeus Seneca
- Life is not complex. We are complex. Life is simple, and the simple thing is the right thing- Oscar Wilde
- Learn how to feel Joy- Seneca
- Not only is there a right to be happy, there is a duty to be happy, so much sadness exists in the World that we are all under obligation to contribute as much joy as lies within our powers. – John Sutherland Bonnell